If you read my previous post, you would have known that I made my very own DIY, bespoke, booksafe case for my iPad. I ended the post wondering how I was going to glue the pages together, so that they did not flap about. Also, while the iPad fit in the hollowed-out portion, I did not have much confidence that it would stay in place while the pages were loose.

Thus began the journey of finding the best way to glue the pages together. Ben (not Kenobi) at Carrypad suggested using Elmer’s Rubber Cement on the inside and outside edges. For starters, I wasn’t sure where to get Rubber Cement, and if it was even available in Singapore.

Anyhow, I decided to do a bit more research before adhering (haha) to any one particular method. I stumbled upon this webpage during my research, which called for white PVA craft glue and water (which are more readily available), and a friend who is an expert in the field of art and crafts confirmed that the PVA/water solution would work best.

I decided to follow the latter, and over the weekend, I visited a speciality store selling art (and craft) products/materials at Bras Basah Complex. While I was there, I picked up a bottle of white craft glue, a UHU glue stick (just in case the PVA-water solution didn’t work)…and lo and behold…I chanced upon Rubber Cement! I got a bottle of that too for good measure, as well as a piece of felt and a rubber/foam sheet (I had planned to use the Rubber Cement to attach pieces of foam to the inside-edge of the rounded corners, to give the iPad a firmer grip…and PVA glue wasn’t going to cut it). The felt would be stuck to the bottom of the hollow, to create a soft, non-scratch cushion for the iPad.

Taking the advice from the WikiHow website, I wrapped the back cover in cling wrap so that excess solution would not get on it. I prepared a 50-50 solution of PVA glue and water, and gingerly brushed it onto the inner edges of the hollow. After a while, I grew in confidence and began slathering it on…I did both the inner and outer edges, and allowed it to dry overnight.

The next night (I gave it about 24 hours), the pages did indeed become one solid block! Ok, it wasn’t exactly as solid as a block of plastic, but still, it worked better than I expected as there were no wrinkles in the pages.


This is what it looks like when I glued the block to the back cover.


To protect the back from scratches, I cut a piece of self-adhesive felt to the desired size, and stuck it on the back.


BIG mistake.

It made the hollow much shallower than I thought it would…and that made the iPad stick out like a sore thumb.



It wouldn’t have been such a bad thing, as it allowed the speakers and volume controls/orientation lock to be exposed…EXCEPT, the book simply would not close properly. After some deliberation, I decided to rip out the felt (really carefully, I might add)…and the end result is as follows…who would’ve thunk that a thin piece of felt would make such a big difference??



Not perfect, but at least the book can be more or less closed…somewhat… *sigh*

More photos of the finished product…




The final step would be to cut the rubber/foam sheet down to size, glue it to the corners of the hollow for a more secure fit, and then add a ribbon below the iPad for easy removal.

If you want to attempt making your own, here are some tips (based on what I learnt from my errors).

  1. Get a thicker book. The iPad is 1/2 inch thick at it’s thickest point. Get something that is thicker than that.
  2. Measure and cut each page one at a time…if you want ALL the inner edges of the hollowed-out space to align perfectly. Oh, and use a pre-measured cardboard cut-out instead of your iPad to measure each page.
  3. Use stronger glue to adhere the “block” of pages to the back cover.

Being a perfectionist, I’ll probably make another one…this time, with less mistakes.

Spot the iPad!